Serene, peaceful resting place for many veterans of many wars. Henry Smith, a Civil War veteran, was the first to be buried here on May 29, 1890. In 1888, Colonel George W. Steele, Indiana’s congressional representative, successfully convinced his colleagues in Washington, D.C., of the need for a Soldier’s Home in Grant County. Subsequently, the 31-acre Marion Branch of the National Home opened in 1889 to provide shelter and comfort for the region’s veterans. Along with the home, a cemetery was established for the interment of the men who died there. For most of its history, the cemetery at the… Read more »
Posts Tagged: VA Marion Campus
The VA Northern Indiana Health Care System, Marion Campus (formerly the Marion VA Medical Center) is on the national historic register and provides quality care to veterans of America, as it has for over a century. It is located on 144 park-like acres in southeastern Marion. Officially opened in March 1890, the first residents of the home were Union soldiers who volunteered for the military during the Civil War.