Pay tribute to James Dean in Fairmount, Indiana and Marion, Indiana.
Visit the James Dean Trail in downtown Fairmount, Indiana and Marion, Indiana year round, or attend annual events such as the James Dean memorial service.
At 5:45 on September 30, 1955 the world lost movie star James Dean but gained a timeless legend. Fairmount, Indiana native James Dean made only three movies in his short life: East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, and Giant, but the mark he made on an entire culture is his true legacy. Celebrate his life at the annual James Dean Memorial Service and the Remembering James Dean Festival. Or explore the James Dean Landmarks Trail and the James Dean Gallery year round.
Explore Fairmount, Indiana’s James Dean Trail
Take a tour of the James Dean Landmarks Trail in Fairmount: see the motorcycle shop where Dean bought his first motorcycle, see the site of the high school where Dean made his acting debut, take a picture at the James Dean memorial downtown, visit Friends Church where his funeral was held, and leave a remembrance at James Dean’s headstone in Fairmount, Indiana’s Park Cemetery. Afterwards, take a ride to Marion, Indiana (Home of the Hog) to visit the James Dean Birthsite Memorial.
If You Visit the James Dean Landmarks Trail in Fairmount, Indiana
- Dates and Hours: The James Dean Landmarks Trail in Dean’s hometown, Fairmount, Indiana, is available year round. However, the best time to visit is during late spring, the summer, and early fall. Visiting during the Remembering James Dean Festival can be exciting but also very crowded.
- Things to Bring: Camera, cell phone to check in on Foursquare, sunscreen, clothes appropriate for the weather, friends and family, your Rebel Without a Cause-inspired red jacket.
- Other Interesting Attraction on and by the trail: Fairmount Historical Museum, Ivanhoe’s Restaurant, Hi-Fi Stereo Shop, James Dean’s birth site in Marion, Indiana. More dining options are available throughout Grant County.
More James Dean Events & Attractions
- Remembering James Dean Festival: Held annually during the last full weekend of September and featuring car shows, look-alike contests, music, family entertainment and more.
- James Dean Memorial Service: Held annually on September 30 at Friends Church in Fairmount, Indiana, the James Dean Memorial Service celebrates the life of James Dean.
- James Dean Gallery and Gift Shop: Explore unique James Dean memorabilia in the collection of true “Deaners” (James Dean fans). This extensive collection consists of thousands of items and highlights the impact that this Indiana native and legendary film star made on our society. The archive and library has been used by authors and film-makers in their work.
- Fairmount Historical Museum: A true James Dean museum, with exhibits donated by his family. See the awards he won, the clothing he wore, the motorcycles he drove and learn about James Dean’s life in his hometown of Fairmount, Indiana.