Fairmount, Indiana: Home to Jim Davis and Garfield the cat
The legend of Garfield creator, Jim Davis, comes alive in his hometown of Fairmount, Indiana
Fairmount, Indiana boasts a couple famous Indiana natives. In addition to its most well-known son, movie-star James Dean, Fairmount is also the hometown of Jim Davis, creator of the comic strip Garfield. Jim Davis’s PAWS, Inc. studio is just a short drive from Fairmount, Indiana and surrounding cities of Marion, Gas City and Upland, Indiana. And Jim Davis and Garfield’s presence continue to be felt throughout east central Indiana with Grant County’s Garfield Trail.
From Fairmount, Indiana to Upland, Indiana: Drive the Garfield Trail
Visit eleven unique statues of America’s favorite lasagna-loving fat cat, Garfield. Located in Marion, Indiana and surrounding Grant County cities, the fiberglass statues each measure approximately five feet in height and depict Jim Davis’s Garfield in captivating costumes or funny situations. Taking a trip along the Garfield trail is a great family activity and presents a number of fun photo opportunities.
If You Visit the Garfield Trail in Fairmount, Indiana and surrounding cities:
- Dates and Hours: The Garfield Trail, featuring statues of Jim Davis’s most famous cartoon character, Garfield the cat, is available year round. However, the best time to view the statues is during late spring, the summer, and early fall.
- Things to Bring: Camera, cell phone to check in on Foursquare, sunscreen, clothes appropriate for the weather, friends and family.
- Other Family-Friendly Attractions along the Garfield Trail: Splash House Water Park, Fairmount Museum, Ivanhoe’s Restaurant. More dining options are available throughout Grant County along the Garfield Trail.
- Cell Phone Tour: Learn more about Jim Davis’s Garfield, Fairmount, Indiana and other surrounding communities by taking the Garfield Trail cell phone tour. Call (765) 997-7034 from each statue for interesting commentary and information about nearby attractions.
Locations:The Garfield statues can be found in the following locations:
- Marion, Indiana Garfield Trail Trailhead
Paws For Thought Garfield
Community Foundation of Grant County, Indiana
- Fairmount, Indiana
The Cool Cat
Fairmount Historical Museum
- Matthews, Indiana
Along the Lazy River
Matthews Town Hall
- Upland, Indiana
Scream for Ice Cream
- Van Buren, Indiana
A Worldly Cat
Van Buren Public Library
- Gas City, Indiana
The Big Boom
Mill Township Public Library
- Jonesboro, Indiana
Jonesboro City Hall
- Marion, Indiana
Medical Professional Garfield
Marion General Hospital
- Marion, Indiana
Love the Links
Arbor Trace Golf Club
- Sweetser, Indiana
Rails to Trails
Sweetser Switch Trail and Depot
- Swayzee, Indiana
Swayzee Alumni Park