Fairmount, Indiana boasts a couple famous Indiana natives. In addition to its most well-known son, movie-star James Dean, Fairmount is also the hometown of Jim Davis, creator of the comic strip Garfield. Jim Davis’s PAWS, Inc. studio is just a short drive from Fairmount, Indiana and the surrounding cities of Marion, Gas City and Upland, Indiana. And Jim Davis and Garfield’s presence continue to be felt throughout east central Indiana with Grant County’s Garfield Trail.
Glassblower Garfield in Gas City, Indiana is currently down for repairs.
From Fairmount, Indiana to Upland, Indiana: Drive the Garfield Trail
Visit a dozen unique statues of America’s favorite lasagna-loving fat cat, Garfield. Located in Marion, Indiana and surrounding Grant County cities, the fiberglass statues each measure approximately five feet in height and depict Jim Davis’s Garfield in fun outfits or playful situations. Taking a trip along the Garfield trail is a great family activity and presents a number of fun photo opportunities. Share your Garfield encounters using #followthefatcat!
If You Visit the Garfield Trail in Fairmount, Indiana and surrounding cities:
- Dates and Hours: The Garfield Trail, featuring statues of Jim Davis’s most famous cartoon character, Garfield the cat, is available year round.
- Things to Bring: Camera, cell phone to check in on Foursquare, sunscreen, clothes appropriate for the weather, friends and family.
- Other Family-Friendly Attractions along the Garfield Trail: Splash House Water Park, Fairmount Museum, Ivanhoe’s Restaurant. More dining options are available throughout Grant County along the Garfield Trail.
- Cell Phone Tour: Learn more about Jim Davis’s Garfield, Fairmount, Indiana and other surrounding communities by taking the Garfield Trail cell phone tour. Call (765) 997-7034 from each statue for interesting commentary and information on nearby attractions.
Beautiful rolling golf course with irrigated, tree lined fairways. Water comes into play on six holes. A golfing challenge from beginning to single handicappers. Golf outings welcome with picnic area available. Our courteous and friendly staff will greet you in our fully stocked pro shop.
A historic landmark, the Museum was founded in 1975. Exhibits showcase authentic artifacts of hometown film star James Dean, Garfield cartoon creator Jim Davis, community history, and much more. The gift shop includes James Dean items, Garfield items, and Fairmount items. The Museum sponsors the annual James Dean Festival and James Dean Run Car Show…
Our casual atmosphere will help you to relax and enjoy a meal with friends or family. Our menu offers sandwiches, meal-size salads, and our famous chicken salad. Treat yourself to dessert – you’ll have a difficult time making a selection from our menu of over 100 milkshakes and 100 sundaes! Fresh Strawberry Shortcake in season…
The Sweetser Switch Trail is the ideal place for walking, running, bicycling, roller blading and horseback riding. A paved and stoned trail stretches for one mile with beautiful landscaping, benches, shelters, and tables for picnics. The trail includes a 1916 wooden caboose, restored parlor car, and mail car for different recreational events. The Sweetser Switch…
- Marion’s Garfield Trail Trailhead
- Matthews Town Hall
- Van Buren Public Library
- Gas City – Mill Township Public Library
- Jonesboro City Hall
- Marion General Hospital
- Marion Public Library & Museum
- Matter Park
- Payne’s Restaurant
- Swayzee Alumni Park